HMC Welcomes Associate Dean for Institutional Diversity

In January, Harvey Mudd College welcomed Veronica Clairmont as its new associate dean for institutional diversity. Clairmont leads the Office of Institutional Diversity and will focus on campus-wide efforts related to access, equity, inclusion and social justice education.

“I am truly looking forward to helping students explore their identities, define their voice and leadership abilities and contribute to a space where they can feel safe and supported,” Clairmont says.

Clairmont found her passion for supporting students in higher education at Step Up Women’s Network, a nonprofit that helps high school girls understand how to apply to college and gain access to career opportunities through mentorship and internship programs.

After receiving her master’s degree in education from the University of La Verne and working at charter schools for several years, she began her higher education career at the University of Southern California, where she served as an academic advisor and assistant director in the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism’s Academic and Advisement Services office. She also served on the First-Generation College Student Task Force, which organized the inaugural First Generation College Student Summit, and she was a mentor for first-generation students and an advisor for the Annenberg Latino Student Association.

Most recently, Clairmont was senior director of student affairs at Keck Graduate Institute. “While I was at KGI, I was able to interact with Harvey Mudd students, and I was always impressed by their kindness, uniqueness and curiosity. When I saw the opportunity to work here with a full student affairs team and support efforts that I am truly invested in, I could not pass up the chance to apply,” she says. “I hope we can continue highlighting the value of our diverse student population and elevate opportunities to come together and learn from each other’s unique stories and experiences.”