Staff Profile: Nabel Villafana

Associate registrar Nabel Villafana will celebrate 10 years of working at HMC in December 2024. Winner of the 2024 Outstanding Staff Member Award, Villafana is known for her passion to be helpful in service of the College’s mission. Find out what she likes most about her work at HMC, what she wishes you knew about working in the registrar’s office, what her favorite dining hall food is and much more in this Q-and-A.

Please briefly describe your work at HMC

As the associate registrar I plan, coordinate and manage a wide range of functions in the registrar’s office. I oversee the daily operations and services of the office, including registration, grading, transfer credit, transcripts, enrollment reports, commencement and compliance with academic policies and regulations, including FERPA. I am one of the primary stewards of student and academic information, and I develop and maintain subject matter expertise in the construction of the academic portions of the student information system and related systems, contributing this expertise to relevant committees and projects that employ student and academic information.

I represent the Office of the Registrar and Harvey Mudd College on collegiate and consortial committees, and I work with students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni and the public. This work includes having knowledge of Harvey Mudd College and consortium policies, procedures and personnel, and demonstrating independent judgment in processing inquiries and requests. Working closely with relevant parties at HMC, TCCS and/or the other Claremont Colleges, I lead the work of identifying and developing reports, dashboards and automated procedures that enhance the work of the College. As part of this work, I identify and develop new technologies, processes and procedures for the office, remaining current with best practices in higher education.    

What is your favorite part about your job and why?

My favorite part about my job is knowing that the work I do impacts the HMC community in a positive way. So much of the work the registrar’s office supports almost all functions of the College, and I am grateful to know that my work matters.             

What is something people don’t understand about your job that you wish they did?

I wish more people knew that the work we do in the registrar’s office is not automated. There are often expectations that our team should be able to do things, answer questions, etc., at the drop of a hat, but the work we do requires attention to detail, management of data and critical thinking.            

If you could swap jobs with any other HMC employee for a day, who would it be and why?

I would love to swap jobs with someone in the Office of Admission for a day. It would be great to know/understand more of the work they do.               

If you could add anything to campus to improve the employee experience, what would it be?

I would love for there to be more opportunities for promotion of staff that do not involve someone leaving. Staff retention should be a priority.                

Favorite food/dish in the Hoch-Shanahan Dining Hall?

The Pho on Wednesdays for lunch.            

Favorite hobby, activity or creative outlet?

I love to read and have recently started painting.  

Best piece of advice someone has given you, either in life or at work?

Be here now.

What is your most effective strategy for dealing with stress?

Meditation.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be and how would you use it at work?

The ability to say “no” more. I would use this to help me achieve a greater work-life balance.        

What book or podcast are you enjoying right now?

Podcast: Ear Hustle  

Last concert you attended?

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour