Staff Profile: Irene Barela

Dec. 6, 2024 will mark 28 years of service for Irene Barela, coordinator in the Office of Annual Giving. As the coordinator for annual giving, she supports the College’s fundraising efforts by managing the program’s day-to-day operations. She coordinates meetings, handles expense reports and maintains a calendar of projects. She also reaches out to donors to increase matching gift revenue and assists with donor communications, mailings and collaboration across teams. Get to know more about Irene in this Q-and-A.

What is your favorite part about your job and why?

The people. My favorite part of my job is working with my team and collaborating with colleagues. We have great working relationships. I consider my team as my second family. Also, I love reconnecting with my former student workers during Alumni Weekend—it’s always a highlight for me.

What is something people don’t understand about your job that you wish they did?

What many people don’t realize is how powerful even the smallest gifts can be. As a coordinator, my work behind the scenes ensures that every single contribution, no matter how small, adds up to create a transformative impact on our campus. It’s inspiring to know that the efforts I put in help turn individual acts of generosity into something truly significant for our students and community.

If you could swap jobs with any other HMC employee for a day, who would it be and why?

Kim Neal, manager of the makerspace. The makerspace is an awesome space for all. It is a place where everyone can be as creative as they want to be. It’s like HMC’s own Disneyland—the happiest place on campus!

If you could add anything to campus to improve the employee experience, what would it be?

It would be nice to have a swimming pool on campus for all students, faculty and staff. When I started working here, we had the Bell Swimming Pool. It was located where the Shanahan Dining Commons is now. It was great! Iris Critchell, President Joseph Platt and his, wife, Jean used to swim there every afternoon and that was one of my favorite memories.

What’s your favorite food/dish in the Hoch-Shanahan Dining Hall?

The carnitas on Taco Tuesday.

What HMC events have made you feel really connected to other HMC colleagues?

Alumni Weekend is my favorite event. It brings all the HMC community together, including faculty and staff. I also enjoy the random faculty/staff events that HR has been implementing lately. We get to talk to other faculty and staff and get to know each other more.

What is your favorite hobby, activity or creative outlet?

I love dancing! In my younger days, I participated in dance competitions. I also love to go grocery shopping and to the shopping mall alone. It’s therapeutic for me. I also have a weekly ritual of going out to dinner every Friday with my cousin.

What is the best piece of advice someone has given you, either in life or at work?

Things don’t always work out the way we hope. You just have to pick yourself up and find a new direction to go in.

What is your most effective strategy for dealing with stress?

Spending time with my rescue chihuahua, Charlie. And working out three to four times a week at the gym.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be and how would you use it at work?

I want to have a great, smart brain so I can join some of the students with their special projects.

Are you studying or learning something new?

I am trying to improve my Spanish, which I am not as fluent in as I would like.

What book or podcast are you enjoying right now?

I don’t read much or listen to podcasts. However, I love to watch the Discovery ID channel.

What is the last concert you attended?

It was an old school, classic R&B concert with various artists/groups.